One of your first questions after a truck accident is likely to be, “What should I/we do?” as you grapple with the harsh realities associated with a serious or catastrophic injury or fatality. Our experience and our client-oriented approach can provide much needed guidance and direction.
DO THIS AFTER A TRUCK ACCIDENT
As for what to do, looking for a personal injury lawyer as you are doing now is a critical step. In addition, we recommend that you:
- Get emergency medical evaluation and treatment for the injured person as soon as possible.
- Report the truck accident to police and to your insurance carrier.
- Contact an attorney as soon as possible — the sooner, the better. Why? Because what you say and do in the aftermath of a truck accident can have a bearing on the outcome of your case. We can offer the direction you need at a difficult time — and speak on your behalf. A knowledgeable attorney can obtain truck drivers’ logs and other key evidence quickly. This type of evidence may prove to be critical.
- Keep all records associated with the accident, injuries and related expenses: The police report, medical bills, names and contact information for eyewitnesses if applicable, photos taken with cellphones at the scene of the accident and receipts for money paid out for anything as a result of the accident.
DON’T DO THIS AFTER A TRUCK ACCIDENT
- Be careful about what you post on social media sites, including Facebook, CaringBridge and blogs. Of course, you will want your family and friends to know that someone they care about has been injured and perhaps is in a hospital. Beyond this basic information, you should have your attorney advise you before disclosing specific, personal details about the accident, injuries or recovery in a public forum.
- Do not engage in lengthy discussions with investigators without legal advice. This is one of the most common mistakes that people make — and doing this can jeopardize a case outcome.
LEADING CALIFORNIA TRUCK ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS WELCOME YOUR CALL | ASK US WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU’RE INVOLVED IN A TRUCKING ACCIDENT | TAKING CASES THROUGHOUT THE U.S.
Our personal injury lawyers are available to talk to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We offer a free case evaluation and handle truck accident cases on a contingency fee basis. Contact us to schedule a consultation. Our law offices are generally open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, but we also see clients at other times and places as necessary.