Understanding Spinal Cord Injuries
The common causes of spinal cord injuries include the following:
- Trauma, including motor vehicle accidents, falls from heights, slip and fall accidents and sports-related injuries. These types of injuries can fracture or dislocate the vertebrae, which can damage the spinal cord
- Violence, including gunshot wounds, knife attacks, domestic violence, and physical assaults
- Medical conditions like arthritis, cancer of the spine, and spinal cord tumors can result in spinal cord injuries
- Motor vehicle accidents such as car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries
- Sports and recreational activities from contact sports like football, hockey, and rugby can increase the risk of spinal cord injuries
Potential Severity and Life-Altering Implications
The severity of spinal cord injuries can vary depending on the extent of the damage. Injuries can range from mild (temporary pain or numbness, back injury) to severe (brain injury, paralysis and loss of function).
Depending on the location and severity of the injury, a person may experience a loss of sensation or function in various parts of their body. For example, an injury to the lower spinal cord may result in paralysis of the legs. An injury to the upper spinal cord may result in paralysis of the arms and chest muscles, which can impact a person’s ability to breathe.
Living with a spine injury often requires life-changing and significant adjustments to one’s lifestyle and daily routine. Some require mobility aids, such as wheelchairs or crutches, and may need to adapt their homes and workplaces to accommodate their needs.
Serious injuries such as a complete spinal cord injury will also impact the quality of life, sexual function, and earning capacity, requiring financial compensation.
Treatment options for spinal cord injuries vary depending on the extent of the injury but may include surgery, physical therapy, and medication.
Various Parties That Could Be Liable
A few negligent parties could be responsible for a victim’s spinal cord injuries:
1. Negligent Individuals
Some spinal cord injuries are caused by accidents involving negligent individuals. A driver texting while driving may hit a pedestrian. Or a property owner fails to maintain their premises, resulting in slips and falls.
2. Product Manufacturers
Product manufacturers may be liable for spinal cord injuries. For instance, the manufacturer may be held responsible if a faulty car part causes a car accident leading to a spinal cord injury. Or if a defective product, i.e., medical device, causes a spinal cord injury during surgery.
3. Medical Professionals
Sometimes, medical professionals may be held liable for spinal cord injuries. If a doctor fails to diagnose a spinal cord injury or recommends a treatment that causes harm, they may be responsible for the damage. If a nurse administers medication incorrectly and causes a spinal cord injury, they could also be liable.
An employer may be held responsible if a spinal cord injury occurs. For instance, if a worker falls from a height without proper safety equipment and suffers a spinal cord injury, the employer could be liable for failing to provide a safe work environment.
How Our Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys Can Help
Liability might fall on various individuals or entities, such as the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident, the owner of a property where the injury occurred, or even a product manufacturer if a faulty product caused the injury.
Our attorneys will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the injury, gather evidence, and consult with experts to identify all potentially liable parties. The costs of a spinal cord injury can be astronomical, including medical bills, lost wages, and ongoing care and rehabilitation expenses. Our attorneys will fight to ensure you receive the maximum compensation from all liable parties.
Negotiate with Insurance Companies for Fair Compensation
Our attorneys deeply understand how insurance companies operate and can help ensure accident victims receive the compensation they deserve.
We work tirelessly to gather evidence, build a strong case, and negotiate on your behalf. We understand that every spinal cord injury case is unique, and we will work closely with you to understand your specific needs and goals.
Our attorneys are skilled negotiators, and will help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Legal Representation in Court
Our team can assist you with filing a lawsuit or pursuing other legal avenues for compensation. We have extensive experience handling complex personal injury cases and have achieved successful outcomes for many clients.
Pursuing a claim for damages and medical costs in court can be complicated and overwhelming. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources necessary to provide you with the legal representation you need to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Our team will work with you to build a strong case based on the facts and evidence, and we will advocate for your rights and interests in court.
Our lawyer’s record of successful back and spinal cord injuries claims includes:
- $5.4 million recovered for a young man who sustained a quadriplegic injury due to the negligent operation of two semi truck drivers
- $5 million recovered for a woman who suffered quadriplegia resulting from a car rollover, in which her roof crushed
- Substantial settlement received for a motorcycle accident victim who sustained multiple back and spine injuries
- Substantial recovery obtained for a person who suffered disabling back injuries in a crash with a municipal fire engine
- Seven-figure settlement for 14-year-old boy rendered a paraplegic in a car accident on an unsafe road
- $1 million settlement for a young wife and mother of three children who sustained multiple back fractures in a head-on collision with an unlicensed driver
DON’T TALK TO AN INSURANCE ADJUSTER UNTIL YOU SPEAK WITH A FRANTZ LAW GROUP LAWYER
If you or a loved one suffers from spinal cord injury, Frantz Law Group is here. Let us help you navigate the legal system and seek the best possible outcome for your case. Our personal injury lawyers are available to talk to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
We offer a free case evaluation and handle all cases on a contingency fee basis. Clients pay no attorney fees and do not reimburse expenses advanced on their behalf unless they recover monetary damages in a settlement or jury award. Se Habla Español.